thebooknerd

Emad Attely [The Book Nerd]

My biggest passion is reading books of any kind. I, simply, read in order to live.

موسم الهجرة الى الشمال
علي الوردي

The Death of Ivan Ilych

The Death of Ivan Ilych - Aylmer Maude, Leo Tolstoy description

description

“He suffered ever the same unceasing agonies and in his loneliness pondered always on the same insoluble question: "What is this? Can it be that it is Death?" And the inner voice answered: "Yes, it is Death."
"Why these sufferings?" And the voice answered, "For no reason—they just are so.”

What a true, real, and painful story!
It's the second book I read for Leo Tolstoy,and I, unexpectedly, fell in love with it.

Its idea is very simple, and very deep. It tells the story of Ivan Ilyich's death.
Someone might think that it's some kind of a detective or murder-investigation story. Well, I assure you, it's not! It's about the idea of DEATH itself!
Have you experienced death before? No? OBVIOUSLY NOT!!! When you read this book you'll experience death! You'll go in a journey inside a dying man's head, you'll feel what he feels and you will wonder at the questions he asks.

description

“Why? It can't be that life is so senseless and horrible. But if it really has been so horrible and senseless, why must I die and die in agony? There is something wrong! "Maybe I did not live as I ought to have done," it suddenly occurred to him.”

“the question suddenly occurred to him: "What if my whole life has been wrong?”

description

This is definitely one of my favorites. I'm very happy I read it. After I finished reading it I felt that something inside me has changed.