thebooknerd

Emad Attely [The Book Nerd]

My biggest passion is reading books of any kind. I, simply, read in order to live.

موسم الهجرة الى الشمال
وعاظ السلاطين
علي الوردي

Poor Folk

Poor Folk - Fyodor Dostoyevsky description
Oh poor people "Makar" and "Barbra"!
You're very rich in love.

As usual with my all time favorite writer Fyodor Dostoyevsky, I travel to another world.
This novella is surely one of the best.
Perfumed love letters between two rich lovers (I refuse to call them poor, they are very rich in my eyes, richer than any of us). Really painful love letters they are! They open your eyes. They introduce you to people so damn poor (in money) that they spend most of their days hungry and longing for anything to eat and wear. In this type of life, their biggest dream is not to be very hungry (they're ok with just hungry!).

We desperately need a novella like this in today's world to remind us of our lost humanity amidst this raging sea of nasty materialism where people have turned into a bunch of ugly vampires and bloody cannibals who are able to eat each other over nothing! We desperately need to wake up and see our fellow human beings - our brothers and sisters who are living right now at this very moment in a very big pool of shit screaming in pain but find no one to hear or help them out.

I love Dostoyevsky for he always talks about serious problems in society. He draws people's attention to those poor people who are totally ignored by the materialists "privileged few".

Do I recommend it?
Are you serious?!!!! HELL YEAH!